Username: Password:

Author Topic: Oldschool II goes America!  (Read 4733 times)

Offline n4ttl

• Administrator
  • Zombie Hunter
  • Bullets: +89/-84
    • View Profile
  • Playername (DayZ): n4ttl
  • What kind of player are you?: Survivor
Oldschool II goes America!
« on: January 02, 2015, 07:39:12 PM »
We are very excited to announce that we have moved Oldschool II to a location on the east coast of the United States. This gives the players in the United States and Canada the chance to play on Oldschool DayZ Hardcore with a decent ping. It is even possible for Europeans to play on Oldschool II, the ping will be above 100 though.

I really hope you guys over there in the States and in Canada will enjoy playing on Oldschool. I expect you to promote this server  on your continent ;)

If you enjoy playing on Olschool DayZ Hardcore you might consider supporting us by donating to this service.

Oldschool DayZ Hardcore - We are the north
www.oldschooldayz.net

Offline GoastBreth

• Bambi
  • Bullets: +3/-1
  • Slow Is Smooth, Smooth Is Fast
    • View Profile
  • Playername (DayZ): GoastBreth
Re: Oldschool II goes America!
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2015, 07:43:28 PM »
So that's why it disappeared from my list! I thought I was losing my marbles.

Offline Igniteless

• Bambi
  • Bullets: +4/-11
    • View Profile
  • Playername (DayZ): Mr. Friendly
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2015, 07:46:25 PM »
You already lost your marbles GoastBreth :P

Offline valdark

• Freshspawn
  • Bullets: +1/-1
    • View Profile
  • Playername (DayZ): Bobby
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2015, 08:22:24 PM »
We are very excited to announce that we have moved Oldschool II to a location on the east coast of the United States. This gives the players in the United States and Canada the chance to play on Oldschool DayZ Hardcore with a decent ping. It is even possible for Europeans to play on Oldschool II, the ping will be above 100 though.

I really hope you guys over there in the States and in Canada will enjoy playing on Oldschool. I expect you to promote this server  on your continent ;)

If you enjoy playing on Olschool DayZ Hardcore you might consider supporting us by donating to this service.

Many thanks.  We've been playing on 1 and 2 for a couple of weeks now and enjoying it tremendously.    It's been like our old mod days for the first time since standalone launched. 

My only concern is whether that action in the west will carry over without your CZ squads pushing it. 
Thanks again and this isn't why I was planning on donating but it doesn't hurt. 

Offline Grimshaw

• Freshspawn
  • Bullets: +0/-0
    • View Profile
  • Playername (DayZ): Grimshaw
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2015, 09:27:16 PM »
I must admit to being disappointed about this decision. Oldschool 1 always has a high number of users, often impossible to play on at all. I was delighted when I found we had Oldschool 2 as an alternative. And now?  :'(

Offline valdark

• Freshspawn
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2015, 09:44:06 PM »
I must admit to being disappointed about this decision. Oldschool 1 always has a high number of users, often impossible to play on at all. I was delighted when I found we had Oldschool 2 as an alternative. And now?  :'(

I'm not sure where you are but I've been playing on both servers from South Texas with little to know issue (actually plays better than 90% of the US servers I've played on. 

Offline Grimshaw

• Freshspawn
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2015, 09:53:52 PM »

I'm not sure where you are but I've been playing on both servers from South Texas with little to know issue (actually plays better than 90% of the US servers I've played on.

Impossible, as in it's nearly always full. And if you are lucky enough to get a slot when at 48/49 players then often the performance suffers. My own view is that two EU servers with a max of 40 would have been ideal.

Offline valdark

• Freshspawn
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2015, 01:13:34 AM »

Impossible, as in it's nearly always full. And if you are lucky enough to get a slot when at 48/49 players then often the performance suffers. My own view is that two EU servers with a max of 40 would have been ideal.

It's not full when I play.  11pm-6am CST. 

But I think you misunderstood my point.  My point was that these servers perform really well even at full capacity when compared to most US based servers from my location in South Texas. 

The ping is typically 160+ but far less laggy that some US servers with 50- ping.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2015, 01:17:40 AM by valdark »

Offline Grimshaw

• Freshspawn
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2015, 01:35:39 AM »
Quote from: valdark

Well that's hardly any comfort to me. I've spent a whole evening looking at a server filled with 50 people. I usually play with someone else so it has been impossible to play. Until today we could use Oldschool 2 - now that is no longer a viable option for me.

But I think you misunderstood my point.  My point was that these servers perform really well even at full capacity when compared to most US based servers from my location in South Texas. 

The ping is typically 160+ but far less laggy that some US servers with 50- ping.

I didn't misunderstand at all. You were talking about performance whilst I was addressing the impossibility of actually getting on the server at all - different issues.

While I can't argue about comparison with US servers (since I never use them), what I can say after using many EU ones is that performance suffers horribly when you get this many players at one time. Perhaps that will be fixed at some point. Perhaps not. All I can say is that it is far from satisfactory, from my own point of view, at this time.

Offline valdark

• Freshspawn
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2015, 01:41:03 AM »

Well that's hardly any comfort to me. I've spent a whole evening looking at a server filled with 50 people. I usually play with someone else so it has been impossible to play. Until today we could use Oldschool 2 - now that is no longer a viable option for me.

I didn't misunderstand at all. You were talking about performance whilst I was addressing the impossibility of actually getting on the server at all - different issues.

While I can't argue about comparison with US servers (since I never use them), what I can say after using many EU ones is that performance suffers horribly when you get this many players at one time. Perhaps that will be fixed at some point. Perhaps not. All I can say is that it is far from satisfactory, from my own point of view, at this time.

My point is that the ping is not as large an issue as you might think regarding joining the newly moved #2.   

I was saying that whatever is being done to manage these servers has provided a better experience with fewer bugs than equally loaded servers from my area that have lower ping. 

In other words #2 should still provide a clean experience.

Offline Grimshaw

• Freshspawn
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2015, 01:53:31 AM »
My point is that the ping is not as large an issue as you might think regarding joining the newly moved #2.   

If you think that's the case, then why move it at all then? You would have been just as happy with #2 remaining in EU, as would I, and we'd all be happy.

Offline valdark

• Freshspawn
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2015, 04:27:52 PM »

If you think that's the case, then why move it at all then? You would have been just as happy with #2 remaining in EU, as would I, and we'd all be happy.

I had no part in it being moved.  I'm just a new community member who was just as surprised at this change as you were.

Offline n4ttl

• Administrator
  • Zombie Hunter
  • Bullets: +89/-84
    • View Profile
  • Playername (DayZ): n4ttl
« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2015, 05:14:49 PM »
with Oldschool II remaining empty most of the time, even when Oldschool I was full, we decided to take this step. We hope that we can get more players. And if it does not work, we can move it back to a Europe location at any time.
Oldschool DayZ Hardcore - We are the north
www.oldschooldayz.net

Offline Grimshaw

• Freshspawn
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 03, 2015, 06:08:51 PM »
I had no part in it being moved.  I'm just a new community member who was just as surprised at this change as you were.

It was a rhetorical question. I realise you had no part in moving the server.

Offline Grimshaw

• Freshspawn
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 03, 2015, 06:12:11 PM »
with Oldschool II remaining empty most of the time, even when Oldschool I was full, we decided to take this step. We hope that we can get more players. And if it does not work, we can move it back to a Europe location at any time.

It was actually beginning to get busier. Like myself, perhaps many people did not even realise that there was a second server until recently. I'll agree, it wasn't full like Oldschool I, but that's a good thing, IMO. And even so, the numbers were starting to become fairly respectable.