Username: Password:

Author Topic: "Beta". And now?  (Read 127 times)

Offline n4ttl

• Administrator
  • Zombie Hunter
  • Bullets: +89/-84
    • View Profile
  • Playername (DayZ): n4ttl
  • What kind of player are you?: Survivor
"Beta". And now?
« on: November 10, 2018, 10:58:28 AM »
This week BI announced that DayZ is beta now. What does this mean for Oldschool? Will there be a server and when?

In my opinion the current product is far from being called a beta. In software development beta means feature complete, bug fixing only. The current game is light years away from being feature complete, a lot of stuff is not working, there are not enough weapons (no real sniper weapons,...), stuff that already worked two years ago is not in the beta yet, the persistence is not working. So to be honest calling the game beta now is just a marketing move to trick people into thinking the game made a huge leap forward. IMO it didn't. But it was clear that something like this will happen, because earlier this year experimental branch became the new stable branch and stress test branch became the new experimental branch. So it is a continuation of the things we experienced the last years, we are just using other names for the same stuff. Frankly I expect a paid DLC in 2019 that brings in the missing features.

Like with every major update we see a lot of players coming back to try out the game, and when you look at steamcharts you will see that the peak number of concurrent players currently is as high as it was two years ago. Apparently a lot of people are coming back to try out the game again. Coming back to see that the game is still broken.

In the past we were always providing a server when there was an update. Only to see that there was a peak of players for five or six days and then having an empty server for months... This time, for the first time we won't do that. We will wait and see how the situation develops.

The reasons why we won't open a server at the moment:

- not enough features to keep players interested for a longer time
- no working persistance
- no killlogs, thus no way to find cheaters and hackers

Another reason is with the server files out the only option for us running a DayZ server is running it on a dedicated server on which we have full control (and not being dependend on a GSP like Fragnet anymore). However renting a dedicated server is a financial commitment for a longer period and it makes no sense to set the stuff up only to realize that in four or five weeks nobody is interested in the game anymore.

In the meantime I am playing around with the server files and perhaps there will be an Oldschool mod. However it all depends how the game itself develops over the next months.

Let us know what you think about the current situation.

Oldschool DayZ Hardcore - We are the north
www.oldschooldayz.net

Offline Danjo-47

• Freshspawn
  • Bullets: +0/-0
    • View Profile
  • Playername (DayZ): Danjo
Re: "Beta". And now?
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2018, 12:03:10 PM »
It probably depends on the server, but the persistence works since the last update.

Offline pinocchio

• Freshspawn
    • View Profile
  • Playername (DayZ): Pinocchio
  • What kind of player are you?: Bandit
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2018, 06:17:01 PM »
Perhaps we should wait for release until 15/12/2018, but I am really missing by Oldshool days =`(

Offline honeyiscool

• Freshspawn
    • View Profile
  • Playername (DayZ): honeyiscool
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2018, 06:25:33 PM »
Your reasoning is sound. We are so close to release, why not wait. I do miss Oldschool though.

Offline Moe the Blind

• Freshspawn
  • Bullets: +1/-1
    • View Profile
  • Playername (DayZ): Moe the Blind
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2018, 08:28:30 PM »
I can totally understand your reasoning nattl and I respect it.

I would only have selfish reasons to request for a server. Yesterday I wanted to play with Aim, and we had the choice between runningmanz and the village (both upped the player count, so probably have hitreg issues as well), but both had queues of over 35. The waiting players could have filled another server.

Of course there was not a single good other server that would have a decent amount of players on it. We tested two other 1pp servers that were in the EU, and both were horrible. Totally pimped stamina, one had us both spawn in Stary, with a very high amount of Infected. Which the server could not handle ofc. It was a shit show and we stopped playing.

BTW I would like to volunteer to help out with potential mods or to discuss what to modify and why. If needed, just holler at me.

Offline n4ttl

• Administrator
  • Zombie Hunter
  • Bullets: +89/-84
    • View Profile
  • Playername (DayZ): n4ttl
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2018, 10:38:12 PM »
 I have the same problem finding it hard to join 1pp servers ;). However setting up Oldschool server will not change the fact that the kids will rather stay in the queue of the "cool servers" the whole evening than join Oldschool. We had this problem in the past. People sort the player list by player count and then join the full servers...
Oldschool DayZ Hardcore - We are the north
www.oldschooldayz.net

Offline honeyiscool

• Freshspawn
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2018, 01:04:19 AM »
However setting up Oldschool server will not change the fact that the kids will rather stay in the queue of the "cool servers" the whole evening than join Oldschool

Those effin would be hipsters would not know cool if it blew up in their face.

Offline [SMZC] TheMightyLC

• Verified Player (whitelist)
  • Freshspawn
  • sad is the new sexy
    • View Profile
  • Playername (DayZ): [SMZC] MightyLC
  • What kind of player are you?: Hero
« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2018, 12:11:30 PM »
N4ttl I have linked your post in my post on the DayZ Forums: https://forums.dayz.com/topic/240818-i-think-it-might-be-a-grave-mistake-calling-this-beta/

Hope that's okay.

Offline honeyiscool

• Freshspawn
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Yesterday at 03:03:02 PM »
Just to add my opinion to n4ttl's original post. I do not think any paid DLC will be coming for the missing content.